About Me

Thanks for visiting my blog. My name is Kea. I am a happily married, stay at home mother. I make cakes part time from home, and love every minute of it. I have been baking and decorating cakes since 2009. This blog is mainly a gallery of my work as I practice and sharpen my cake decorating skills. I hope you enjoy!! Comments are always appreciated :)

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Lego cake

This year, my nephew wanted a Lego cake for his 6th birthday. He wanted a cake were his little plastic Lego men could 'peel' away the fondant on the cake.









I was also EXTREMELY excited to try a new technique to create Lego blocks. I have made Lego cakes and cupcake toppers previously, but while they looked great, making each block individually (each with 4-6 individually pegs on top) was very time consuming... So I decided to make a mold of a real Lego block to help me replicate fondant blocks much much faster. I knew I would be making many more Lego cakes in the future so decided it was worth the $13 mold kit investment ;) I used a food safe silicone mold making kit (purchased at my local craft/hobby store). I borrowed a few of my nephews Legos in various sizes and followed the kit instructions. It was very simple.



 I made one mold of 3 Legos with their regular thickness (for cupcakes and random pieces, to mimic real Legos) and one mold of 3 Legos with a very shallow thickness (I used this on top of the cake). Looks like a pile of real plastic Lego pieces, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment